Do your gums bleed while eating? Are your gums swollen and red? If you notice any such symptoms then it may be possible that you are suffering from gum disease.
Gum disease or periodontal disease is a progressively inflammatory disease of the gums & bone surrounding the teeth caused by increased plaque & tartar build up around the teeth. It is one of the main reason behind your tooth loss. Our Clinic specializes in providing full dental treatment for periodontal surgery and gingivitis solutions at very reasonable price. The sooner you seek treatment, the better are the chances of saving your teeth .
What are the various treatment options?
After examining your treatment will be planned depending upon the type of disease & how severe the condition is. Non surgical treatment options includes:
- Scaling that involves cleaning of the teeth from the root.
- Polishing with the professional dental tools
- Root Planning or Curettage
These are mostly done when your condition is not so much severe and in the cases of gingivitis.
Surgical treatment options includes:
- Flap Surgery
- Soft tissue grafts
- Bone grafts
What are the factors behind the gum disease?
- Poor oral hygiene or lack of proper brushing habits.
- Some age related factors as well as predisposing genetic factors.
- Some other conditions include pregnancy, diabetes, epilepsy & patients on chemotherapy, antidepressants, antihypertensives & antiepileptics.
Routine Scaling & Polishing
This treatment procedure involves the scrupulous removal of plaque, tartar & stains around & below the gum line This procedure is painless and carried out in patients with gingivitis.
What is Flap surgery?
Periodontal Flap Surgery, which is also called pocket depth reduction is the process where your gums are folded back away from your teeth. Cleaning the roots of the teeth , it repairs the bone that is damaged by gum tissue.
Periodontal Flap surgery is recommended in the cases :
- Pocketing depths have reached a level where maintainence and cleansing is very difficult.
- Bone loss and inflammation of the gum tissue around the teeth in cases of moderate to severe periodontitis.
- When scaling and root planing have been unsuccessful, periodontal flap surgery is required.
You will be given local anesthetic before the procedure to numb the area.
After scraping away the bacteria-laden plaque and tartar from your teeth through this surgical procedure, the dentist removes diseased tissue and smoothens the surface of damaged bones.
What is the best way to prevent it?
Taking care and maintaining good oral health hygiene will keep you away from any gum disease. Make sure to brush your teeth twice a day with a soft bristled brush. Clean the areas between the teeth with a floss or soft bristle brush. Get a checkup done once in every six months.